Will a Sleep Mask Help You Sleep?
There’s a stereotype surrounding sleep masks. Which would be that only women use sleep masks. For some reason, our culture has personified that stereotype into reality. However, regardless of that reality, the benefits of using a sleep mask remain the same.
Let’s take a quick look at what science tells us:
“Light, especially at night, can disrupt our internal biological ‘clock’ that helps to regulate our sleep-wake patterns,” said senior behavioral scientist Dr. Wendy Troxl of RAND Corporation.
Exposure to light, mainly artificial light, suppresses the body’s ability to produce melatonin, our sleep-inducing hormone. Too much exposure over time can result in insomnia, a debilitating sleep disorder.
So what’s one of the leading causes of sleep disruption?
The blue light emitted from electronic devices is one of the leading causes to sleep disruption.
What’s one of the best ways to combat sleep disruption?
Use a sleep mask when heading to bed to block out ambient, blue, and artificial light. The eye masks will help shield your eyes while helping to realign your body’s internal clock over time.
Qualities of a Good Sleep Mask
A good sleep mask is made from breathable materials, like organic cotton or silk. It’s important that your sleep masks fit comfortably on your head and aren’t too snug.
Sometimes combination masks are best as they provide a good balance between keeping their shape while remaining soft to the touch. Lastly, your sleep mask should block out 100% percent of light.
Benefits of a Sleep Mask
- Increased REM Sleep - Studies from the US National Library of Medicine reveal that sleep masks help elevate melatonin levels by blocking out light and result in shorter REM latency, which aids in promoting healthy sleep patterns and hormone balances.
- Effective Light Shielding - Sleep masks are a useful device for blocking out artificial light, which is known to disrupt the body’s sleep hormone, melatonin.
- Stress Relieving Points - Some sleep masks are ergonomically designed with added weight and pressure-relieving points, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Improved Sleep Quality - Sleep masks have shown to be an effective method of improving sleep quality, naturally realigning the body’s internal clock, and promoting healthy sleep cycles.
The Bottom Line
Science has proven that people do and can sleep better from using sleep masks. Cheaper than getting a prescription, the advantageous benefits of using a sleep mask are worth it and can significantly improve one’s sleep quality and overall quality of life. For the best sleep masks, make sure that your mask is made from lightweight, breathable materials like cotton or silk.
- Why should I use a sleep mask?
- Studies have shown that sleeping with a sleep mask can increase REM sleep, a vital sleep stage for information processing, learning, and memory. Additionally, a sleep mask can improve sleep quality and ultimately lead to a better quality of life.
- Do sleep masks help you sleep?
- Yes, sleep masks help you sleep better and help the body naturally align or keep in sync its internal clock.
- Are sleep masks safe for my skin?
- For the best skin protection, make sure to use sleep masks with breathable materials, like cotton or silk. Most sleep masks are machine washable, although masks should be washed with a scent-free detergent to avoid minor skin irritations.
- Are sleep masks hypoallergenic?
- Not all sleep masks are hypoallergenic; therefore, stick with certified organic sleep masks.
Written by: Mike Stownel
Staff Writer - Researcher
Mike is an experienced Researcher and Writer. Now his challenge is to test, compare, and review the best sleep products like mattresses, pillows and sheets