How to Make Your Mattress Softer or Firmer
There are several ways to make your mattress softer or firmer. Some of the options we’ll discuss are free and low-budget and can provide you with a handful of extra months, while other affordable retail alternatives can solve all your needs and provide you with a few more years of use and better sleep quality. Learn what our team of sleep experts discovered, along with how you can make your mattress softer or firmer.
Making Your Mattress Firmer
The age and wear of your mattress can significantly affect how well you can make your mattress firmer. Bear in mind; most mattresses last between 8 to 10 years. Added wear-and-tear, quality of materials, and atmosphere can affect longevity by two years.
So how can you make your mattress firmer?
For free, you can consider letting your mattress air dry. If you live in a remote or humid region, there’s a slight possibility that your mattress may be retaining water. For maximum effectiveness, sun dry your mattress. As a bonus, the sun’s UV rays will kill allergens, mildew, and bacteria nested within the bed.
Consider rotating your mattress every 3 to 6 months for best weight distribution and to prevent sagging.
Low-budget ways to make your mattress firmer?
- Prop up your mattress support with a plywood board
- Replace that dusty, outdated box spring
Making Your Mattress Softer
There are a few methods that can be employed to make a firm mattress softer. If you just purchased a new mattress, then the chances of your body not yet adjusting to the new mattress’s comfort and support levels are probable, as it can take up to 30 days. Therefore, stepping on the top of your mattress for several minutes every day can break in your mattress more swiftly.
Other options include:
- Change your foundation if your mattress is not suitable
- Make the room hotter (as heat softens memory foam mattresses)
- Rotate your mattress every 3 to 6 months
What’s The Best Way to Make Your Mattress Firmer or Softer?
The easiest way to make your mattress firmer or softer would be by purchasing a mattress topper. Which is what our review will help you do.
How to Choose the Best?
Our team of industry experts has tested over two dozen mattress pads and toppers. The findings of the industry’s top-rated mattress brands and our expert’s findings are shared next
The Bottom Line
For the quickest fix, Puffy provides the most straightforward and best-rated mattress toppers that can make your mattress firmer or softer. For a low-budget alternative, you can finance the Dreamcloud Sleep mattress protector that’s crafted with added support and cushioning. For the cream of the crop, consider Saatva organic mattress topper with the latex or memory foam (both of which are naturally cooling and hypoallergenic).
- What’s the best way to make a mattress firmer?
The best way to make a mattress more firm is to invest in a firm mattress topper that fits your mattress size. Added benefits of a firm mattress topper often include:
- Body heat wicking (cooling)
- Increased mattress longevity
- Additional support and comfort
- Better pressure-relieving points
- What’s the best way to make a mattress softer?
- The fastest and most efficient way to make a mattress softer would be purchasing a softer, more cushiony mattress topper.
- Where can I buy a cheap mattress topper?
- Dreamcloud Sleep offers a padded mattress protector that combines both protection and comfort for as little as $8 per month and as high as $10 per month.
- Are mattress toppers worth the money?
- Most sleepers will agree that mattress toppers are definitely worth their weight in gold. Their straightforward application, quick-fix nature, affordability, and added benefits are solely advantageous.
Written by: Mike Stownel
Staff Writer - Researcher
Mike is an experienced Researcher and Writer. Now his challenge is to test, compare, and review the best sleep products like mattresses, pillows and sheets